Sunday, June 10, 2007

Comments on Gosshawk Trail

Letter to OSMP Staff:

Here are my comments on the proposed Goshawk Ridge Trail. I will keep my comments short as on the Thursday, May 24 walk-through of the proposed trail alignment, I let Mike, Dave, Joe, Brad (?), and you know my strong support for the alignment proposed by OSMP (2C, 3B and 3C, 4B/C(?), and 5A). I feel that OSMP staff put considerable thought into the proposed Goshawk Ridge Trail and the result will be an excellent trail that I approve of.

Background Comments:

I have hiked on Boulder Open Space and Mountain Parks for over 30 years and for over 12 years in the Eldorado Mountain Area. I have lead hikes for the Colorado Mountain Club (CMC) and Boulder Outdoor Group (BOG) in the Eldorado Mountain area for over 10 years. When leading hikes for these two groups on the old trail (2A, 3A), I have always ended the hike at the large flat rock on the S end of the meadow on the E side of 3A before the N'most drainage of Spring Brook.

When hiking on my own, I continue in between the two Spring Brook drainages out to the concrete structure on the Denver Water Board canal and then follow the exiting two-track roads/trails out to the bridge over the Denver Water Board (DWB) canal. Over the years, in the area of the proposed Goshawk Ridge Trail, I have seen considerable wildlife including bears, coyotes, deer, elk, rattle-snakes, and wild-turkey. On a CMC trips that I lead in June 2005, we saw 5 bears.

General Comments:

From my familiarity with the area and from the explanation of the proposed trail alignment sections by OSMP staff on the walk-through, I understand the rational for these alignments for both trail sustainability and environmental preservation and I support OSMP staff's proposed alignments. I understand that the crossing of the Spring Brook drainages is the most difficult section of the proposed trail alignments, but I feel that the trail should continue on to the DWB Road.

Trail Segment 2:

I support trail alignment 2C as done on the walk-through. This alignment will correct trail sustainability problems with the current trail 2A and the current Mickey Mouse access trail MM-1A. As I mentioned on the walk-through, the points of intersection with the old trails should be marked to keep traffic on the new trail alignment.

Trail Segment 3:

I support trail alignment 3B and 3C as done on the walk through. I would like to see the inclusion of a short spur trail to the big flat rock where I end my CMC and BOG hikes as this is a nice "contemplation location" as I mentioned on the field trip. Contemplation locations are important and this rock provides a ready-made flat surface for people to sit on.

Trail Segment 4:

I support either alignment 4B or 4C as done on the walk-through. I am still a little confused as which is the preferred alignment by OSMP staff, but I am comfortable with either one. As I mentioned on the walk-through, I understand that the crossing of the Spring Brook drainages is the most difficult/sensitive section of the proposed trail alignments, but I feel that it is being done very carefully and thoughtfully by OSMP staff.

Trail Segment 5:

I support alignment 5A as approximately done on the walk-through. This alignment should avoid the burn area W of the DWB canal and should come out by the exiting DWB bridge, provided that OSMP can reach an access agreement with the DWB.

Thank you for the opportunity to comment on the proposed Goshawk Ridge Trail.

Sincerely,

Steven Haymes

No comments: