Monday, May 07, 2007

Dogs: Trail closure raises questions

Boulder Daily Camera Letter to the Editor May 6, 2007

Saturday, I was hiking with my dog in the Flatirons, as I have been for the last 10 years. I came across signs on the Saddle Rock trail that dogs were banned from trails leading to Green Mountain.

I understand that the city is supposed to make all of these decisions open for public discussion, but I have never seen these specific trail closures discussed, and I read the Camera regularly. I'm becoming concerned that the city is starting to make a lot of decisions without really telling the public.

Since dogs on trails issues seem to be such hot-button issues, if they really are, I think we need to start bringing these issues to the public ballot once and for all. Given what I know about most people in Boulder, I would guess that we would probably vote not to limit trail access for our pets. The same goes for bike access, horse access, and even people access, which all seem to be in jeopardy around Boulder lately.

I think it's time we start bringing Boulder back to being run by the people and not by a select vociferous few who don't represent our true population.

JON ADAM
Boulder

No comments: